June is World Avocado Month!
The World Avocado Association (WAO), of which South Africa is a member, will be dedicating the month of June to the awesome avocado. Avocados will be celebrated all over the world so make sure you do your bit and add an avo too!
June is Avocado Month
As South Africans, we definitely don’t need any excuse to add and avo to our meals and the good news is that avocados, not surprisingly, are at the forefront of the hottest food trends predicted for 2019.
The plant revolution wave that’s sweeping the foodie world puts avos right up there, with the fruit dominating countless meat-free dishes. Avos are also turning heads on the wellness A-list. The popularity of keto, paleo, grain-free and ‘pegan’ diets, as well as ‘neurotrition’, have put ‘good fats’ back on the menu.
Good for your Heart
With avos boasting high amounts of heart-healthy monounsaturated fat, linked to good HDL cholesterol, and being naturally cholesterol free, they tick all the right boxes when it comes to these dietary and lifestyle choices.
One of the biggest food trends this year is hassle-free snacks and healthy meal replacements that provide satiety and nutrition for time-strapped consumers. Eaten straight out the skin, avos offer a quick, easy and fully mobile meal option!
Try these add an avo ideas…
This “recipe” does not require master cooking skills nor a green thumb! Simply cut your ripe and ready avocado in half, remove the pip, squeeze over half a lemon and start filling to create a beautiful (and edible) delight!
Vegetarian avo garden
- A spoonful of labneh (soft fresh cheese made from yogurt or cream cheese) sprinkled with za’tar (ground dried thyme, oregano and marjoram mixed with toasted sesame seeds and salt), grated beetroot, kale chips, mange tout peas, toasted walnuts, fresh herbs such as thyme, basil and Italian parsley, alfalfa sprouts, fresh flowers and micro herbs to garnish.
Vegan avo garden
- A spoonful of roasted red pepper pesto, topped with avocado slices, sesame seeds, pistachios, micro greens and sprouts to garnish.
Avocado Nosh Board
Nosh boards and sharing platters are all the rage. Avocados alone are a complete meal and need only a few accompaniments to complete the board.
Try a selection of mini vegetables such as carrots, radishes and cucumber wedges along with breadsticks or cheese straws and add some edamame beans, vegetable crisps, olives and fried capers.
Avo toast never goes out of fashion, but fashions need to evolve, try these oh so beautiful and tasty avo toasts.
- Sourdough toast, topped with avocado slices, cherry tomatoes, crispy seaweed, and a sprinkling of pumpkin seed dukkah and smoked sea salt.
- A toasted bagel or English muffin, topped with pesto, smashed avocado, savoury granola, fennel and rocket salad, drizzled with avocado oil or extra virgin olive oil, crushed pistachio nuts and a poached egg (optional).
- Toasted low GI bread, topped with smashed avocado, cannellini beans, shaved radishes, thyme, parmesan cheese shavings, and avocado balls. Serve with a sprinkling of chilli flakes and a wedge of lemon
Love this avo inspiration? See more delish avocado recipes here.
Hungry for more? Subscribe to our Newsletter