The Remarkable Health Benefits Of Rooibos
Rooibos is enjoyed as a delicious and healthy beverage in Southern Africa and around the world. It is caffeine-free, low in tannins and rich in antioxidants that offer a variety of health benefits.
The Rooibos Plant
Rooibos Tea is produced from the plant Aspalathus linearis which is a leguminous shrub that is unique to the Cederberg Mountains around the town of Clanwilliam. It forms part of the Cape Floral Kingdom, commonly known as fynbos, and grows nowhere else in the world.
Benefits of Rooibos – the healthy choice
Rooibos contains a complex mix of many flavonoids (compounds widely found in plants that are known to have health benefits). Rooibos is one of the most beneficial beverages for those who care about their health and well-being. Here are just a few of its impressive health credentials
- Rooibos is completely pure and natural as it contains no additives, preservatives or colourants.
- It is low in tannins. Unlike many teas, Rooibos is naturally low in harmful tannins.
- It is naturally caffeine-free and is therefore recommended for individuals suffering from insomnia.
- It contains antioxidants that fight free radicals (a by-product of normal cell function), which weaken the body’s natural defences and lead to ageing, the declining of the immune system and the onset of a wide variety of diseases.
- It contains no oxalic acid.
- It is calorie-free and is perfect for anyone on a weight loss plan.
- It is an excellent thirst-quencher to keep the body hydrated after exercise. The mineral content of Rooibos helps to restore the body’s natural balance after a workout.
- It has a soothing effect on babies suffering from colic, stomach cramps and restlessness.
As a drink it is extremely versatile; it can be enjoyed as a hot drink or as an iced beverage. It can be mixed with fruit juice or cordials and one can even add champagne or red wine to it to create a unique cocktail. As a caffeine-free alternative, Rooibos espressos and lattes are a great hit.
Cook with Rooibos
Many top South African chefs have embraced Rooibos as part of their signature recipes. The health benefits of it have also been recognised by the food industry, and it is now being used in a wide variety of foodstuffs including spreads, yoghurt, syrup, bread, nougat and health bars. Try these recipes for Gluten-free Cobbler with Rooibos-soaked Fruit or a Rooibos Creme Brulee Crepe Cake.
Due to the beneficial dermatological effects of Rooibos, it is being used in an ever-increasing number of skincare products, cosmetics and toiletries. A wide range of Rooibos teas and Rooibos-related food and cosmetic products are available from the House of Rooibos shop.
For more information on the benefits of rooibos send an email or visit the shop at 4 Voortrekker Street, Clanwilliam.
Open Mondays to Fridays from 09h00 till 13h00
Hungry for more? Subscribe to our Newsletter