Moët & Chandon’s Golden Tree Lighting Ceremony Opens to the Sounds of the South African Youth Choir
As the countdown to the festive season begins, it’s worth celebrating one of the season’s most iconic symbols: the Christmas tree. And while cities from Belgium to Brazil are famous for constructing trees made from porcelain to those that float, few are more awe-inspiring than Cape Town’s grand Moët & Chandon Golden Tree, created entirely from champagne bottles.
Moët & Chandon’s Golden Tree Lighting Ceremony
Capetonians and visitors alike are invited to open the festive season at this year’s Moët & Chandon Golden Tree Lighting Ceremony – taking place at 19h00 on Thursday 29 November at Silo 7, adjacent to the Radisson Red at the V&A Waterfront Silo District.
The evening will include performances by the acclaimed South African Youth Choir and the Cape Town City Ballet and is open to the public at no cost.
Light It Up
Sitting at an impressive four-storeys high and built with over 1800 recycled champagne bottles collected from all over South Africa, the Moët & Chandon Golden Tree is wrapped in a shimmering gold ribbon created using over 2000 discs.
Once the sun sets, visitors can look forward to an impressive lighting display, with the 230 metres of LED lights individually programmed to illuminate in sync with themed festive music that most attendees will most definitely recognise!
The Moët Music Box
This year Moët & Chandon have also created the ‘Moët Music Box’ which will allow visitors the opportunity to personally interact with the Moët & Chandon Golden Tree – by simply turning the music box lever they’ll activate a magical 40-second lighting show, bringing the tree to life.
With shops open until 20h00, visitors are also invited to indulge in some late-night Christmas shopping on the 29th of November, as well as delicious Moët & Chandon festive specials at participating restaurants in the Silo District.
So gather friends and family on Thursday 29 November and make your way down to the Silo district and ring in the festive season in style!
Moët & Chandon’s Golden Tree Event Info
- Date: Tree Lighting Experience on Thursday 29 November is open to the general public at no cost
- Time: the Moët & Chandon Golden Tree Lighting Ceremony experience will take place from 19h00 – 21h00.
- Location: the Moët & Chandon Golden Tree is located adjacent to the Radisson Red at the V&A Waterfront Silo District
- VIP tickets: are also available at R395. Available directly from the Radisson Red, tickets include access to the VIP area situated around the tree and a mini Moët bottle presented from the much-loved mini Moët Serving Machine.
- Public hashtags: #moetmomentct #moetmoment
Africa’s first Champagne Christmas Tree
Be a part of the magic and tag your pics with #moetmomentct #moetmoment
The Moët Golden Tree will be situated in the Silo District until Sunday 6 January.
Hungry for more? Subscribe to our Newsletter