Cooking with Kids – Reindeer Marshmallows
Kids love the story of Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer, so creating these reindeer lollies are great fun! Easy to make, yummy to eat and will definitely keep the kids entertained for a while! *Children must be supervised when making this recipe as there are elements that are sharp and hot.
Rudolph Reindeer Lollies
What you’ll need…
125 g cooking chocolate
a handful pf pretzels
kebab or sucker sticks
items to use for eyes and nose (we used decorations from the baking section of our local supermarket)
ribbon for decor
1. Start off by scoring the marshmallows on either side with a pair of kitchen scissors, this will be where you will place the pretzel antlers to help them stick. An adult should complete this step for smaller children.
2. Melt the chocolate in a microwave-safe dish. Melt slowly, stopping frequently to stir – chocolate burns quickly, so keep an eye on it. Place the bowl with the melted chocolate over a second bowl which contains a small amount of hot water, this will keep the chocolate warm and liquid while you coat the marshmallows.
3. Skewer a marshmallow all the way through, but not allowing it to poke out the other side.
4. Dip in chocolate, you can use a teaspoon to coat the marshmallow all the way around. Ensure the you go around the stick base as this will seal and secure the stick.
5. Break a pretzel into 2 halves, be careful not to break unevenly, you may need to break a few to get a consistent pair! Stick each antler into the scored slits on each side, the cut marshmallow is sticky inside so should hold the pretzels. Hold for a a few seconds to allow to dry.
Use the decorations to create a character face.
Allow to dry for a bit before standing on a sheet of baking or wax paper to dry completely.