It’s all systems GO! for this year’s Plant Powered Show
It’s all systems GO! for this month’s Plant Powered Show, which takes place at the Cape Town International Convention Centre from Friday, May 26 to Sunday, May 28.
Apart from the exciting line-up of chefs who will entertain with live demos, the three-day event will also feature diverse and compelling talks by leading health and wellness experts…
What’s on the Menu?
The bumper line-up of chefs and mixologists can be seen for free, demonstrating in The Checkers Plant Kitchen, powered by Simple Truth, as well as taking part in the not-to-be-missed daily Masterclass programme that features attendees cooking an array of scrumptious plant-based dishes and mixing cocktails alongside some of the show’s top drawcards.
The Plant Powered Show is aimed at anyone with an interest in food, health, wellness, the environment or more conscious living…
They include English chef, writer and presenter, Tom Hunt; plant-based African food educator, Jane Nshuti; international award-winning wild and indigenous chef, Gregory Henderson; Chef’s Table Cape Town founder, Santi Louzán; Western Cape wild foods expert, Loubie Rusch; chef, food stylist and editor of TFG’s MyKitchen magazine, Chad January; vegan bakery Cinnamon Club owner, Jacques Kruger; nutritional therapist and naturopath, Aliya Ferguson; Sunshine Food Co. founder, Elisha Madzivadondo; classically trained French chef, Damian Jardim; ex-Delaire Graff Estate and Boschendal chef, Christiaan Campbell; Jenny Morris, aka the Giggling Gourmet; co-founder of the vegan sushi restaurant Plushi, Carin Brink; executive chef at WE Café, Eugene Volkov; co-owner and director of Cause Effect Cocktail Kitchen & Cape brandy bar, Kurt Schlechter; and one of the country’s top mixologists, developers, trainers, and event managers for everything bar related, Roxanne Read, aka ‘Rox the Fox’!
Discover the Secrets Behind All Things Plant-Based
A morsel-size glance at the programme of free demonstrations taking place in The Checkers Plant Kitchen, powered by Simple Truth, shows the following:
- Jenny Morris on how to make her red kidney bean cauliflower and corn curry and quick broccoli soup
- Gregory Henderson demonstrating his Botanical Hargrow Mirror
- Jane Nshuti making gnocchi with moringa and basil pesto
- Rox the Fox whipping up her Green Goddess Fizz
- Christiaan Campbell cooking steamed baby marrow and pecan nut dumpling, vegetable slaw, roasted carrot & dukkha spice and dark chocolate tart with sweet cashew nut cream
- Chad January making tofu, spinach and mushroom tikka masala and Asian-style tofu, spinach, mushroom and wilted greens with sesame dressing
- Tom Hunt with his apple scrap cider vinegar, multi-seed plant milk and vegan truffles
- Eugene Volkov creating a salad on a tofu cream pillow and onion soup with broccoli and cauliflower garnish
Demos in The Checkers Plant Kitchen, powered by Simple Truth, will include free tasters of the chefs’ recipes for audiences and MCs are radio presenter Guy McDonald and fitness, food, travel and mental health guru Amy Hoppy.
Masterclasses by Top Chefs & Mixologists
The popular hands-on Masterclasses, held daily and available to only 20 premium ticket holders per class (almost 50% already sold out!), will feature some of the aforementioned chefs, plant-based experts and mixologists demonstrating how to create dishes, drinks, dips, desserts and much more. A soupçon of the line-up includes:
- Mediterranean broth bowl and Mediterranean tacos with Damian Jardim
- Avocado, Lemon and Basil Pasta and Lemon and Rose Sorbet with Aliya Ferguson
- Vegan paella with Santi Louzán
- Beauty of the Beet with Carin Brink
- Rainbow sweet potato casserole with Damian Jardim
- “Inspired by Fynbos” cocktails with Kurt Schlechter and Schweppes premium mix
- Exploring dune spinach in the wild, in cultivation, in cooking with Loubie Rusch
- Raw avocado chocolate tart and vegan meringue with Jacques Kruger
… and much more.
MC for the Masterclasses will be executive director for BNI Cape Town and Johannesburg, Björn L. Salsone. Full programme details for The Checkers Plant Kitchen Programme can be downloaded here. To view the Masterclass Programme click here.
What is The Plant Powered Show?
The Plant Powered Show is aimed at anyone with an interest in food, health, wellness, the environment or more conscious living, as well as the trade, including retail, restaurant, hotel and hospitality establishments, local distributors and exporters, looking for innovative, high-quality products.
Apart from the exciting line-up of chefs who will entertain with live demos, the three-day event will also feature diverse and compelling talks by leading health and wellness experts in The McCain Health & Wellness Talks in association with ProVeg SA; expect exclusive industry networking and a marketplace stocked with plant-based food, drink and conscious living products, which will also be available to sample and buy at the event.
It will also feature the Valpré Hospitality Area, a perfect space for networking, relaxing and enjoying the Valpré wine spritzers; the Plant Pub, serving Conscious Cocktails curated and mixed by top mixologists, including renowned AJ Snetler, and a wide range of delicious foods available from pop-up eateries in the Living on the Veg area.
Plus, catch popular podcaster, Sean Loots, as he interviews various chefs, experts and producers in The Plant Powered Show Popup Podcast brought to you by Latitude Aparthotel and the City of Cape Town.
This year, The Plant Powered Show will also make its long-awaited Gauteng debut when it launches at the Kyalami International Convention Centre from August 4 to 6.
The Plant Powered Show sponsors include Cape Talk, Checkers, presenting sponsor of The Checkers Plant Kitchen, powered by Simple Truth; McCain, presenting sponsor of the Health & Wellness Talks in association with ProVeg SA and Category sponsor in The Checkers Plant Kitchen, powered by Simple Truth. Supported by SA Chefs, The Federated Hospitality Association of South Africa (FEDHASA), The Restaurant Association of South Africa (RASA), SANHA – the South African National Halaal Authority, ProVeg SA and Beauty Without Cruelty and the City of Cape Town.
The Plant Powered Show Details
Cape Town International Convention Centre, Cape Town
- Friday, May 26, 2023, from 10h00 to 18h00
- Saturday, May 27, 2023, from 10h00 to 18h00
- Sunday, May 28, 2023, from 10h00 to 17h00
Kyalami International Convention Centre, Greater Johannesburg
- Friday, August 4, 2023, from 10h00 to 18h00
- Saturday, August 5, 2023, from 10h00 to 18h00
- Sunday, August 6, 2023, from 10h00 to 17h00
Tickets are on sale at Quicket (Cape Town click here; Johannesburg click here). Follow TPPS socials for early bird ticket promos. Book your tickets before the show and save 25% on your ticket with promo code SAVE25
For more information about The Plant Powered Show, visit the website and social links below. Want some plant-based cooking inspiration? Try these recipes.
plantpoweredshow.com | Instagram | Facebook | YouTube | Twitter
Hungry for more? Subscribe to our Newsletter