Desserts with Sarah Graham: Milk Tart Crème Brûlée
‘Tis the season to be jolly, and what a better way to put a smile on your face than something sweet and decadent. Sarah Graham takes two amazing desserts and combines them into one that’s bursting with a multitude of flavours. A Milk Tart Crème Brûlée with Honey and Almond Praline.
Milk Tart Crème Brûlée with Honey and Almond Praline
WHAT YOU’LL NEED FOR THE CRÈME BRÛLÉE
6 egg yolks
100g caster sugar
¼ tsp ground nutmeg
2 cinnamon sticks
1 vanilla pod, halved lengthways
Extra caster sugar, for dusting
FOR THE PRALINE
¼ cup honey
1/3 cup roughly chopped almonds
WHAT TO DO
- Pre-heat oven to 150°C.
- Heat the cream in a saucepan until bubbles start to form (do not allow to boil), then remove from the heat, add in the caster sugar and spices and stir until the sugar has dissolved. Set aside.
- Whisk the egg yolks in a large mixing bowl until pale and fluffy, and then slowly pour in the cream, whisking continuously.
- Pour through a sieve into 8 small ramekins. Transfer the ramekins to a deep baking tray or dish, and pour in enough warm water come halfway up the sides of the dishes.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until just set, and then remove from the oven and allow to cool completely in the fridge.
- Meanwhile, for the praline: heat the honey in a small saucepan until bubbling and golden, and simmer gently for 3-4 minutes. Place the almonds on a non-stick baking tray or silicone mat, pour over the hot honey and leave to cool completely before breaking into rough shards. Store in an airtight container.
- Just before serving, sprinkle 1 Tbsp caster sugar over each pudding and place under a hot grill until the sugar has melted and is golden.
Indulge your sweet tooth this festive season and spread the joy with this truly decadent dessert, I know we will! Want to satisfy your sweet tooth, find more dessert recipes here.