Serve this tasty chicken parmigiana with mashed potato and side vegetables.
- Makes : 4 |
- Difficulty: easy
- Prep Time : 30 mins |
- Cook Time : 45 mins
- 4 free-range chicken breast fillets, flattened or butterflied
- salt and pepper
- ½ C (125 ml) seasoned flour
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 C (250 ml) breadcrumbs
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tsp (10 ml) dried oregano
- 2 x 400 g cans cherry tomatoes
- salt and black pepper to taste
- cooking oil, for shallow-frying
- 1 C (250 ml) grated mozzarella cheese
- ½ c (125 ml) grated Parmesan cheese
- fresh basil leaves
Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Place the flour, eggs and breadcrumbs in separate plates. Coat the chicken with the seasoned flour, then dip it in the egg and finish with a generous coating of breadcrumbs. Allow to chill in the fridge for about 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, place all the sauce ingredients into a pot and simmer uncovered for 15–20 minutes until reduced and the flavour has developed. Season to taste.
Preheat the oven to 200 °C.
Heat some oil (about 1-cm deep) in a frying pan and brown the crumbed chicken on both sides (don’t cook all the way through). Place in a baking dish in an even layer and pour the sauce over the chicken. Combine the cheeses and sprinkle over the dish. Bake for 20 minutes.
Top with fresh basil leaves and serve with golden roasted potatoes.