Beef and Tomato Stew
A delightfully warm and hearty dish perfect for those cold wintery days!
- Difficulty: easy
- Prep Time : 20 mins |
- Cook Time : 2:0 hours
- 1 kg stewing beef
- 2 Tbsp (30 ml) vegetable oil
- 2 large onions, peeled and chopped
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 C (250 ml) beef stock
- 1 x 425 g can chopped tomatoes
- 5 large carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 Tbsp (15 ml) sugar
- 1 Tbsp (15 ml) tomato sauce
- 1 x 50 g packet tomato paste
- 2 large potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 3 Tbsp (45 ml) vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, grated
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 green pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 chillies, seeded and chopped
- 2 tsp (10 ml) curry powder
- 3 carrots, peeled and grated
- 1 x 400 g can baked beans
- a pinch of chakalaka spice
- salt and pepper
- cocktail tomatoes, for serving
Stir-fry the meat in the oil over high heat until browned on all sides. Add the onion and fry until browned. Season and then add the beef stock. Reduce the heat and add the chopped tomatoes. Cover the pot with a lid and simmer for 30 minutes. Add the rest of the ingredients, except the potatoes, and simmer slowly for another hour. Add the potatoes and continue simmering for 30 minutes.
Fry the onion, garlic, green pepper, chillies and curry powder until the onions are soft. Add the carrots, beans and chakalaka spice. Season to taste and heat through. Allow to cool. Serve with cherry tomatoes.
Serve the Beef and Tomato Stew with pap and the cooled homemade chakalaka and the cocktail tomatoes.